Do you want to decorate your living room without breaking the bank? Are you unsure where to begin? There are plenty of options available. You can employ different types of DIY styles, anything from a modern aesthetic to a rustic look.
You do not have to hire an interior designer to help execute your home décor ideas. Instead, you can customise your ideas to match your style and make the décor goods yourself or get them at a budget-friendly price. Keep reading to learn about stylish DIY home décor ideas.
Things To Consider Before Decorating Your Home
Decorating your home does not have to be a complicated process. It can be as simple as adding a new throw pillow, a fresh coat of paint, a new light fixture, or an accent wall. Here are things to consider before decorating your home:
- Theme: It is essential to have a theme before you start decorating as it can be a calming and unifying element. There are different ways to create a theme, including having a vintage side table, bespoke rugs, and a specific paint colour or wall coverings.
- Different textures: Having a range of textures throughout your home adds to the dimension and gives a room personality. Paintings: The unique combination of textures and colours in paintings can add serenity to your home.
- Splash of colour: Avoid settling for neutral colours as it makes a room look dull. You can add a splash of colour by having bright throw pillows.
- Unique elements: Unique art, a coat of new paint, and other handcrafted products can add a unique element to your home and transform it significantly.
Top Home Décor Items You Should Buy
While DIY projects involve many home-designed items, it does not hurt to buy a few items. Here are top home décor items you should buy to achieve your decorating ideas:
- Rugs: Rugs can help tie the elements in your room together and anchor your furniture.
- Throw blankets: There are different ways to style a throw blanket, from placing them on chairs to sofas, depending on your aesthetic.
- Throw pillow: Throw pillows make your space feel comfortable and stylish. They can be neutral or bold, and they are practical as you can place them just about anywhere.
- Wall art: Art adds character to your walls, and you can choose art that is meaningful to you.
- Books: Books are an excellent way to accessorise and bring personality into your space.
4 DIY Home Design Tips & Tricks
Here are DIY decorating tips and tricks you can apply in your home:
1. Washi tape: You can decorate the playroom or bedroom with washi tape. Having the lined stripes on your wall adds a textured look to the wall.
2. Gallery wall: Decorating your wall with art should not be complicated or have a hefty price tag. You can create a customised yet chic gallery wall where you hang wall art that you have painted. For instance, you can paint polka dots or line stripes on a canvas, or you could customise frames for your family photos and add them to your gallery wall.
3. Wooden crate shelf: You can use wooden crates as shelves in your bathroom, office, and bedroom. They are rustic and add character to a room. You can even stack up multiple crates and use them as a bookshelf.
4. Wallpaper: There is a wide range of wallpaper you can select from depending on your style. Wallpaper can significantly change a room and even tie all the décor together or complement the rest of the décor.
DIY Home Décor Ideas From The Experts
1. Seasonally swap accents: Consider redecorating seasonally by swapping out accents. You can have plain during winter and bright and bold coloured throw pillows during spring. You can also update your bed seasonally. Consider using a bulky blanket or faux fur during winter as they make the bedding more inviting and warm.
2. Colour block your walls: Colour-blocking your wall creates a visual statement. You can paint your wall two different neutral tones or paint a bold colour on half of the wall. Ensure the colours you select complement each other to avoid making it look chaotic. You can also use art to bring out the aspect of a colour-blocked wall.
3. Paint your floors: Consider painting your floors. While this might sound like a simple idea, it can significantly change how a room looks and feels. When you paint the floor, ensure that it does not take away from the room.
4. Get rid of the coffee table base: If your coffee table has a marble top, get rid of the base and place the top on the floor. You can prop it up with books giving it a bohemian update.
5. Add colour to your kitchen cabinets: If your kitchen has a neutral palette, consider adding colour to the kitchen cabinets or their edges.
6. Rugs: You can use rugs to serve different purposes in your home, from softening hard flooring and adding warmth to defining zones. You can use a rug with a bold pattern or colour as art in your room or even use them for layering.
Home décor does not have to be complicated or cost a lot of money. Whether you want to add accents to your space or decorate the entire room, it is essential to select décor pieces that reflect your style and personality. You will be surprised how simple changes like a DIY gallery wall or customised home décor can spruce up and transform your home.
Check Out The Most Beautiful Designer Rugs!
At Dena Lawrence Rugs, we have the most beautiful and stylish designer rugs you can use to transform your home. Our rugs are available in various colours, sizes, and designs to suit different styles. We have different collections you can shop from depending on your preference and how you want to style the rug. Are you looking for rugs for your DIY home décor project? Click on the link below to start shopping!